Mother Nature is a force to be reckoned with and this means you must be as prepared as possible to ensure that you are ready. While you may think that you are safe in your home, your home can be a dangerous place too. We want your loved one to be safe, prepared, and comfortable throughout any disaster and we are here to help.
Devastation and destruction are what a disaster can leave behind. Watching the local news or listening to emergency radio broadcasts is a great way to keep up with what is going on.
Below you will find some helpful tips on how to help your senior prepare for any disaster.
1. Be in the Know
- Learn the local emergency evacuation routes and plans
- Study what the disaster’s potential is and know how much potential damage it can cause
- Sign up to receive emergency alerts from your community
2. Create a Supply Kit and Put These in It:
- First aid kit
- Hand tools and a manual can opener
- Non-perishable foods
- Personal identification and important papers
- Cell phone and chargers
- Extra batteries
- Battery or solar operated flashlight
- Emergency blankets and clothes
- Personal hygiene items
3. Come Up with a Plan and Know It
- Determine what to do or who to call in an emergency
- Check out http://www.211.org/ for help locating resources you may need
- Write down your plans and stick them in a place you can recall easily
Helping seniors remain safe and independent in their homes is our job here at Independence. If you have any questions, please contact us.